We believe in the power of community. The generous efforts of our volunteers enable us to provide essential services to individuals facing homelessness. Whether you’re an individual or part of a larger group, there are numerous ways you can contribute your time and skills to make a difference.
Serve a Meal
Breakfast, lunch, or dinner, Transitions relies on the tireless efforts of volunteers to help serve meals to our clients every day of the year. A shift lasts just 1.5 hours, and while many volunteers commit to serving once a week or once a month, we also welcome those who can only join us for a one-off experience. With each meal served, you’ll be making a direct impact on the lives of our clients.
On Campus Opportunities
Transitions’ campus offers several areas where your skills and passions can make a significant impact:
- Library Volunteer: Assist clients in our Day Center’s library, creating a supportive environment for learning and growth.
- Computer Lab Monitor/Assistant: Help clients navigate the digital world, from applying for jobs online to connecting with family members.
- Day Center Volunteer: Engage with clients through indoor or outdoor games, talent shows, dance contests, and more.
- General Assistance: Contribute to the smooth running of Transitions by processing and organizing donated goods, assisting in cleaning and maintaining our spaces, and more.
- Skills Tutor: Share your knowledge by leading classes in areas such as resume writing, mock interviews, budgeting, fitness, art, music, writing, current events, and more.
Perfect for churches, schools, and civic groups, our group projects allow teams to spend a day of service at Transitions. From making benches to painting rooms, pressure washing walkways, or gardening, group projects offer a valuable team-building experience while contributing meaningfully to our mission.
Rapid Shelter Overflow
In partnership with United Way of the Midlands, Salvation Army, and the City of Columbia, Transitions operates Rapid Shelter Overflow (RSO) at 191 Calhoun.
RSO opens when:
- when it is 40 degrees or below; or
- 41-45 degrees with a 70% chance of rain after 5pm;
- Severe weather conditions, to include prolonged rain, will be considered at the discretion of the Director of Homeless Services.